1. Read Kerry's letter (complete text below the cut), click on the link and sign the "Citizen Roll Call" opposing drilling. They're supposed to add a thing to JohnKerry.com giving a rolling update on the number of signatories, but last I checked, that wasn't working yet.
2. If you live in one of these states: Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Indiana, Louisiana, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, Ohio, Tennessee, Virginia -- please call your senator(s) immediately and ask them to oppose opening up the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge for drilling. Phone numbers for the key senators are at the bottom of this post. If you've never called a senator before, trust me, it's easy; you just tell the staffer that you're one of the senator's constituents (important -- they care more about calls from their own voters than out-of-state calls, naturally) and that you're calling to ask them to oppose drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge; if they seem to have time to talk, you can cite reasons given in Kerry's letter, but often they'll just thank you for calling and tell you that they'll make a note of it.
A message from John Kerry:
We have only 24 to 48 hours to try and save the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge.
The Republicans are trying to sneak legislation through the Senate approving oil drilling and they are incredibly close to winning. We have to stop them.
I am joining with Senator Maria Cantwell (D-Washington) in offering a critical amendment to stop this sneak attack on our environment. We will fight on the floor of the Senate, but we need you by our side.
There are seven key Republican Senators whose votes will decide the future of the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge. Before they vote, we need to make sure they know that their constituents are watching, and that they will not be able to support drilling without anybody noticing.
Here are two critical steps we can take together to support our amendment to protect this National Wildlife Refuge: 1. Join the Citizens' Roll Call
First of all, take part in a massive fast-moving display of citizen support for the Arctic Refuge. Sign our Cantwell-Kerry Citizens' Roll Call now.
To make our Citizens' Roll Call impossible to ignore, we have alerted the media, environmental advocates and my fellow Senators to a scrolling display of the names and home towns of the roll call signers. It is posted on our johnkerry.com website, where we hope to soon add your name and a running tally of the number of citizens on our Citizens' Roll Call. 2. Bring the fight to the home states of the seven senators
We need to launch emergency online advertising campaigns in the home states of those seven critical senators: Senator Coleman (MN), Senator Smith (OR), Senator Specter (PA), Senator Martinez (FL), Senator Lugar (IN), and Senators Gregg and Sununu (NH).
We need your help to bring our Save the Arctic Refuge message home in these six states. Help us fund an emergency ad campaign to make sure they know how strongly the people they represent feel about protecting the Arctic. Please make an emergency donation right now.
When Senator Cantwell, myself and other Senators stand up in support of the Cantwell-Kerry Amendment, we will have powerful arguments on our side. (I have recapped some of those arguments at the end of this email message)
But, to win, we need to be able to report directly to our Senate colleagues that massive numbers of citizens around the country - and in their own states - are rising up to demand that the Senate protect the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge.
That's why your immediate signature is so critical.
The Bush Administration and its oil industry allies want to send a message that they can drill for oil wherever and whenever they want to - even if it means targeting a place as striking, pristine and irreplaceable as the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge.
They don't care about putting America on a genuine path to energy independence. If they did, they'd support efforts to increase energy conservation and to create clean, renewable sources of energy that no terrorist can sabotage and no foreign government can seize.
Let me be very direct with you. It is going to take an immediate and impossible-to-ignore display of grassroots support to stop them. That's why your decision to sign our Cantwell-Kerry Amendment Citizens' Roll Call is so crucial.
Thank you for acting quickly on this vital request.
P.S. Senator Cantwell, who comes from a state in the heart of the Pacific Northwest, has - at considerable political risk - courageously stepped forward to join me in leading this fight. We need you to help us win it.
http://www.johnkerry.com/RollCall HERE ARE YOUR SAVE THE ARCTIC REFUGE TALKING POINTS
* The Arctic National Wildlife Refuge's 19 million acres comprise one of the last places on earth where an intact expanse of arctic and sub arctic lands remains protected.
* Drilling in the Arctic Refuge can't make even a small dent in meeting America's energy needs. U.S. Geological Survey scientists estimate that there is very likely only enough oil to supply America's needs for six months. And oil companies admit that, even that, won't be available for at least 10 years.
* An irreplaceable natural treasure, the Arctic Refuge is home to caribou, polar bears, grizzly bears, wolves, golden eagles, snow geese and more. Millions of other birds use the Arctic Refuge to nest and as a critical staging area on their migratory journeys.
* Of course, the Arctic Refuge supports more than wildlife. For a thousand generations, the Gwich'in people of Northeast Alaska and Northwest Canada have depended on it and lived in harmony with it. To them, the Arctic Coastal Plain is sacred ground.
Paid for by Friends of John Kerry, Inc., 511 C St. NE, Washington DC, 20002, U.S.A.
Key phone numbers:
Florida: Sen. Martinez - 202-224-3041
Georgia: Sen. Isakson: 202-224-3121
Hawaii: Sen. Akaka: 202-224-6361 & Sen. Inouye - 202-224-3934
Indiana: Sen. Lugar: 202-224-4814
Louisiana: Sen. Landrieu: 202-224-5824
Minnesota: Sen. Coleman: 202-224-5641
Missouri: Sen. Talent: 202-224-6154
Nebraska: Sen. Hagel: 202-224-4224
Nevada: Sen. Ensign: 202-224-6244
New Hampshire: Sen. Gregg (Chairman of Senate Budget Committee): 202-224-3324
New Hampshire: Sen. Sununu: 202-224-2841
Ohio: Sen. Voinovich: 202-224-3353
Tennessee: Sen. Alexander: 202-224-4944
Virginia: Sen. Warner: 202-224-2023
X-posted to johnkerry08, ljdemocrats